Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 41: Spring Fest

Not much has been going on, and at the same time, too much has been going on! Just an update on the past week:

Today was our huge base-wide event "Spring Fest." (Let's just say that huge equals chaotic in this sense.) We've been working towards this event for over a month now.I somewhat volunteered to take over the Easter eggs, as we bought them pre-filled but had to tape all of them shut so that they didn't burst open when we threw them out into the field.
There were over 5000 eggs. 
Three fields, three different age groups, plenty of eggs. Right?
Wrong.
Apparently some parents didn't want to listen to us. The first field (0-2 year olds) was filled with older kids because "they didn't know." The second field (3-5) was rushed through the back gate and most of the eggs were picked up before half of the people even got in the gate. I had parents yelling at me and kids crying because they didn't get any eggs. On the last field, we got Security Forces involved and had them (and us counselors) standing on the perimeter of the field to make sure no one started before they were supposed to.

My crazy neighbor had her son on all three fields, and he's 6. Believe me, if I could have grabbed her to stop her, I would have... but she evaded me. And then she won a prize later, which I had to hand her, knowing the junk is going to end up in my backyard anyway. Geesh. 

Other than the egg craziness, most everything else went as planned.

The good news is there's another whole year before the next Spring Fest, and we have lots of ideas to fix it! But oh my goodness I am tired...

3 comments:

  1. You guys did a great job!! I think some of the parents sucked, though. :/ My kids had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with the Egg hunt mess, we had a great time! great first Easter Egg for our little girl :) You rocked!!

    ReplyDelete