Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 204: Busy & Productive Weekend

This weekend has been chock full of busy-ness! Yesterday I woke up and ran to the commissary and bazaar. I had gone to the bazaar Friday night and bought some Christmas decorations, but I talked to Arron afterward and he had told me that he wanted me to pick this up:


So I went back Saturday morning before the commissary and got one. :) It's a nice little mesh of Italy and Texas, all in a mosaic right in our entryway.

I then came home to make potato salad for a BBQ last night. I rushed and rushed to get it made, and then get ready for a baby shower before the BBQ. Right as I was about to leave (10 minutes late), I looked at the invitation and realized that I had another full hour before I had to be there (whew!). So I got a little break before the craziness began.

The baby shower was fun. I only knew the mother-to-be, so it could have been awkward, but we had some laughs and I got to know a few people. It was nice, and it's awesome to see how people come together as a family at overseas bases when someone's expecting. Some can't always go home for a baby shower or things like that, and it can get a bit lonely over here without family near.

Anyway, I came home after the baby shower, grabbed the potato salad, and headed to a BBQ in a nearby town named Cordenons. It was a birthday bash/end-of-season party/promotion party for people involved with the base softball teams. It was a lot of fun, especially to watch the drunken people stumble their way around. They played cornhole, which is a beanbag game that involves two teams of two players trying to toss their beanbags through a hole in a wooden platform. I think they like it so much because it helps them practice their slowpitch pitching skills, ha. Anyway, I loved getting to sit around with new friends and getting to know them better. The softball teams here are truly a family, and I don't think they ever have a holiday or birthday without each other around.

Since yesterday was filled with cooking and two parties, I had to take time today to clean house and do homework. I started around noon, and worked solidly until 5 o'clock. I spent an hour and a half on our upstairs patio, cleaning the algae and mildew off the floor and then working to unclog the drain. It took baking soda and vinegar, along with boiling water, and a full hour of using my hands in nasty water to get it to finally drain. At that point I was wishing that Arron was home, but it's an awesome feeling to get things like that done without needing a man's help. :) Once I got the drain unclogged, I used the water hose and the soles of my rain boots to clean the rest of the patio... I think I had a little too much fun!

After the patio was clean, I spent the rest of the time in the house sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming. I also got a chance to switch out the candles around the house for more autumn-y fragrances. Yay! I'm not usually a fan of autumn, but this year it means that the time is getting closer for Arron to come home. :)

I sat down to write a paper tonight and realized that the deadline got extended for an extra week. And like a true college student, I decided to procrastinate longer on that and spend the night surfing the web. After all, I had a crazy, busy and productive weekend!

Ciao y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment