Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 183: Where Were You?

I know many people over the age of 15 can tell you where they were 10 years ago today. I know exactly where I was--7th grade English class with Mrs. Farris. When she told us what happened, immediately the phone in the classroom started ringing. The person on the other end of the line asked for her to send me to the office. I was shaking. You see, my father was a pilot, and in that moment it didn't matter that he usually only flew on the West Coast... I had to walk across the school with the dread that my father was piloting one of those planes.
I got into the office and my godmother, Cheryl, was there. I could see the worry in her eyes, and she could see the worry in mine. Before I could even say anything, she spurted out, "Do you want to go home?" I had to dislodge the stone  in my throat before I could ask the horrible question about my dad. I don't even remember what exactly came out of my mouth, but she hugged me and said, "Oh, honey, your dad is fine. I just thought you might want me to pick you up to go home, since I'm picking up my girls too."

I went home with Cheryl, Lauren and Sarah. My brother Paul wanted to stay at school (something about too many absences due to orthodontist appointments). I went home and laid in bed with my mom as we watched the coverage of the towers. We got to talk to my dad who was grounded, I believe in Phoenix. Hearing his voice gave me such a relief. By that time I got home, I believe the towers had already collapsed, or did shortly after I got home. I just remember watching the footage over and over again, and hearing for the first time the names Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden. I was only 12, and I could tell that our world was going to be forever changed.

Where were you when the world stopped turning
That September day?
Out in the yard with your wife and children,
or working on some stage  in LA?
Did you stand in there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Rising against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger in fear for your neighbor?
Or did you just sit down and cry?


Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones,
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble,
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red, white, and blue,

And the heroes who died just doing what they do?
Did you look up to Heaven for some kind of answer,
And look at yourself at what really matters?

Where were you when the world stopped turning
That September day?
Were you teaching a class full of innocent children,
Or driving down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor?
In a crowded room, did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother, tell her you loved her?
Did you dust off that Bible at home?

Did you open your eyes, hope it never happened?
Close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset for the first time in ages?
Or speak to some stranger on the street?

Did you lay down at night, think of tomorrow,
Go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching,

And turn on I Love Lucy re-runs?

Did you go to a church, hold hands with some stranger,
Stand in line and give your own blood?
Or did you just stay hone and cling tight to your family,

Thank God you had somebody to love?

- Alan Jackson, "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning"

No comments:

Post a Comment