Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 146: Softball and Research Papers

This past week has been super crazy and fun at the same time, although I can't say that I wasn't jonesing for the weekend to come quickly!

I signed up about a month ago to help with a fastpitch softball clinic that a dad wanted to host for the girls on base. The first week (this past week), we worked with high schoolers, to make sure they had the basics down. Next week we start with the younger girls as well, having the older girls help teach them. It's been a lot of fun and it's definitely helped cure my not-catching-anymore-sickness. I missed catching for fastpitch (slowpitch catching is a joke)--I missed being in charge of the game, calling pitches, and throwing out girls who were stealing. I missed the connection I had with a pitcher, and being the ultimate team to get our team where we needed to be. Let me say this--working with this clinic has made me so happy and has fulfilled me in ways you can't imagine. Now, for the news: the high school girls' coach was at the clinic, and he approached me and asked if I'd like to be an assistant coach for next spring's season. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it, because it just sounds like so much fun.

And now to the other topic for tonight: research papers. I have one due next Sunday (a week from tomorrow). The topic is John Lennon's peaceful protests on the Vietnam War, and the effect on the American public. It's been very interesting to learn about it all, because honestly I didn't know that Lennon was that outspoken about the war. I watched a documentary today about it, The U.S. vs John Lennon, which had Beatles songs playing almost throughout the entire thing, and it was crazy to connect the dots and realize that songs I had heard my whole life were about something I never realized. Crazy, huh?

Anyway, I've got to finish the research paper soon, because one of my best friends comes back on Wednesday and we're going to party it up next weekend. :) I can't wait!

It has almost been 5 months now since Arron left, and it looks like we have about 2 1/2 to go--ish. Hell yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment